Former Vice President Joe Biden‘s campaign on Monday said that the Joe Biden will participate in the previously announced 3 fall debates with President Donald Trump and continued to criticize the Trump campaign’s push for additional debates.
In a letter to the Commission on Presidential Debates, obtained by CNN and reported first by Washington post, Biden campaign manager Jen O’Malley Dillon said Biden will face off with Trump in those debates already planned — on September 29, October 15 and October 22. A vice presidential debate will be held on October 7.
The letter comes as the last week President Trump’s campaign was setting up for an aggressive push for more general election presidential debates. While the Joe Biden’s campaign dismissed the push of President Trump last week in a statement from deputy campaign manager and communications director Kate Bedingfield, this is the campaign’s first formal communication with the commission.
“Joe Biden looks forward to facing Donald Trump in a multi-debate series that the American people have come to expect from their leaders; we hope that President Trump would not break that tradition or make excuses for a refusal to participate,” O’Malley Dillon told in a letter.
At point President Trump thinking on it to boycott the debates with Biden as reported by CNN. But now Trump has changed his mind because the overall scenario is changed due to coronavirus pandemic.
Also a source which talks to President Trump on regular basis told CNN that Trump really wants to debate Biden because he believes he can highlight the former vice president’s weaknesses, especially as they play into the campaign’s overt argument that Biden isn’t mentally fit to be president.
“Nothing should prevent the conduct of debates between Joe Biden and Donald Trump on these dates; again, we do not want to provide President Trump with any excuses for not debating,” O’Malley Dillon wrote in a letter.