In New York while talking to reporters at regular briefing, the UN chief’s spokesperson, Eri Kaneko called for maximum restraint on both sides.
Associate Spokesperson for the UN Secretary-General, Eri Kaneko, made the statement about India-China border face-off.
“We are concerned about reports of violence and deaths at the Line of Actual Control (LAC) between India and China and urge both sides to exercise maximum restraint. We take positive note of reports that the two countries have engaged to deescalate the situation,” Kaneko said.
WHAT HAPPENED AT BORDER
The incident occurred during a “deescalation process” underway in the Galwan Valley in the disputed Aksai Chin-Ladakh area, where a large troop build-up has reportedly been talking place for weeks now on both sides of the border, before senior military commanders began talks earlier this month.
At least 20 Indian soldiers have died after a “violent face-off” with Chinese troops along the countries’ de facto border in the Himalayas late Monday, the Indian army has said.
China Statement on India-China border clash
A Chinese military spokesman said Indian troops’ crossing the control line at the Galwan Valley region at the border area of China and India on Monday night caused “fierce physical confrontations and casualties”.
“We demand that the Indian side strictly restrain its front-line troops, immediately stop all infringement and provocative actions, and work together with China to return to the correct track of dialogue and talks to resolve differences,” he said, as reported by China daily.com